Meet The Nat Pack!

My photo
The Nat Pack: The super fashionable, super mod, super hip family consisting of Nat, Pete, Jakob, Brock, Troy, and Ivy. Like The Rat Pack, only younger, cuter, and not as rich or famous.

Monday, May 16, 2011

Beatle-mania

There it was, in the corner of my newspaper: a headline for one of their articles.  I flipped open to the page, and lo and behold, the article about the band 1964.

And my heart did a little leap of joy, and I went “EEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!”
1964 is a tribute band that plays all Beatles songs.  They dress like them, talk, and act like them.  They even played their instruments the way the Beatles did.

I saw this same band when I was in 9th grade.  My sister and I went, along with a couple of our friends.  Somehow, we got front row seats at the Civic Auditorium.  When the band started, we jumped up and started dancing.  But the guy behind us didn’t like it.  He poked us, and yelled “Sit down!  We’re trying to watch!”
So we went into the orchestra pit, along with a bunch of other teenagers.  We danced in pure Beatles bliss.
Anyway, when I saw they were performing up at BYU-Idaho, I immediately called my two Beatles-loving sisters.  They were both all over going to the concert like white on rice.  I think they both went “EEEEEEEEEEEE!” too.  I called and got tickets.

And so we went.  First we got burgers from Five Guys (YUM!), and then we headed on up.  I just love spending time with my cute sisters.

We were singing at the top of our lungs, and boogying in our seats.  At one point the band told everyone to jump up and sing and dance to “Twist and Shout”.  After that, my sisters and I couldn’t be contained in our seats any longer.  They had an area in the back where people could dance if they wanted to. 
There was a boy, about 10-ish years old, who was spastically dancing around, and was totally off-beat.  There was an older guy, maybe in his 40s, who had his two little girls dancing with him.  He was dancing exactly the way my dad would dance with us girls when we were little.  There were some couples trying to ballroom dance to the music, and I wanted to kick them in the shins.
And then there was us.



1964 only plays the early Beatles stuff.  There were a few songs with which I was unfamiliar.  But then they played my favorite Beatles song, “In My Life”.  The band told us to pull out our phones and call someone to share the song with, and I called Pete.  I was so excited that it was “In My Life” that I was all, “petethey’replayinginmylife ilovethissongsomuchcanyouhearit listenlistenlisten!!!”  I asked him later if he heard the song at all, or what I had said, and he was all, “Um, yeah, phones don’t really work well at concerts, I couldn’t hear anything.”

After they were done, we all clapped and cheered, and stomped, and yelled for an encore.  They came back out, and played four more songs, just right in a row.  We ran up to the stage, along with most of the audience.  We danced and sang some more.  There was a guy in front of us, that, when they started the third song, he turned to his friend and said, “This is just BLOWING my mind!”  It was funny.

Then it was over.  My cheek bones hurt from smiling and laughing.  (The “Beatles” would joke around in between songs.)  My throat hurt from yelling and singing.  I was a sweaty mess.  But I was also high as a kite from adrenaline.  It had been wwaaaaayyyy too long since I had listened to Beatles music.  I love, love, love the Beatles.

And here is my favorite Beatles song.  (Pete, when I die, you need to play this at my funeral, k?)

5 comments:

Stephanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephanie said...

You guys are all so cute! I saw them once too-probably in 9th grade too-only I was less cool and went with my parents :) Would love to go with them again though now!

Kar said...

Yeeeeee! I'm so happy you put these up! Stealing them! I had so much fun. It's sad that I look really fat in all of those pictures. But I am so in love with my new white jacket.

Amy said...

Pure Heaven! I love the Beatles. My parents had all the records and we would play them all summer while dancing and singing along. I wonder if that band ever plays where I live? That would be awesome.

Mindy H. said...

Wow! Looks like you ladies had tons of fun. Girls nights out really are the best, especially when a "Ringo" is involved.