Meet The Nat Pack!

My photo
The Nat Pack: The super fashionable, super mod, super hip family consisting of Nat, Pete, Jakob, Brock, Troy, and Ivy. Like The Rat Pack, only younger, cuter, and not as rich or famous.

Monday, October 6, 2008

Pillow Talk

(I wish Rock Hudson wasn't gay... sigh...)


I love bedtime at our house. The kids adore taking baths. They're all clean, with teeth brushed. They're in warm feety jammies. We say family prayers, then I read them a story. And a couple of weeks ago we started adding individual prayers for Jakob and Brock.



Jakob's prayers: He does fairly well by himself. He does get the "please bless"es mixed up with the "thankful for"s sometimes. For instance: "Please bless us that we were safe today. We're thankful for we can sleep good tonight." And he'll repeat a lot. "Please bless us to have Thy Spirit with us tomorrow. Please bless us to be safe. Please bless us to have Thy Spirit with us tomorrow." And yes, he prays in plurals.

Brock's prayers: I have to help him. So I'll prompt him with, "I'm thankful for my blessings." He says: "You thankful for you blessings." Or I'll say "Please bless me" and he says "Please bless you". So now when I prompt him I have to say, "Please bless Brock" so that he'll say his own name. Like one of those super-conceited people that only refer to themselves in third person. "Steve wants to go to the store, because Steve needs some candy!"



And this is Pete's and my bed. Notice where my pillow is. Yep-the center. So, Pete sleeps on his side of the bed, and the lucky sucker gets to cuddle with me while I sleep in the center of the bed. He gets to cuddle with me for two reasons: one is I love to cuddle; the other is I'm freezing cold when I come to bed, always.

Even if we go to bed at the same time, he always falls asleep before me. (Something about getting up at 5:30 a.m.-wuss.) One night I cuddled up next to him, and he goes, "Go away! Sleep on your side of the bed! I'm tired and I need to go to sleep." Well, fine! I can take a hint. Or a shove. I crawled to my really cold side of the bed and fell asleep. The next day when Pete got home from work, I was shooting him dirty looks, and he's like, "What's wrong?" I was like, "You were kind of mean last night." He didn't remember that at all. He was asleep the whole time! We've had big old conversations that he doesn't know we had, because he was sleep talking.

Now I just need to figure out how to use it to my advantage. "Honey, you said you'd take the kids all day Saturday to the park. What, you don't remember that conversation? You totally agreed to it last night when we went to bed." Mua-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!

5 comments:

Amy said...

Bedtime is my very favorite time of the day. Once the kids are all bathed and jammied, we read scriptures and have family prayer. Such a nice way to wrap up the day.

Kar said...

Hee-hee-hee! Ben can be a butthead at night, too. And he doesn't even know it. We joke that he can't tell me anything important in the morning, and I can't tell him anything at night, because it just won't get through. And that is exactly our sleeping arrangement - Ben trying to keep cool, on the outer edge of the bed, and me trying to get warm, cuddling up to him. It's a centuries-old fight, I think - women wanting to cuddle-sleep and men just wanting to be left alone. It reminds me of the "hug and roll" move that Ross taught Chandler. :)

Zoe said...

I think I might have to try that trick on Steve, maybe we all should and have a girls day out, it would be GREAT!

Layton Mom said...

Jaren and I sleep the exact same way. he always gets mad because I am a "bed hog". I always get upset because he doesn't want to talk or because he falls asleep the very minute his head hits the pillow.

Soozee Carmichael said...

I absolutely LOVE little kids prayers! They are the cutest things EVER!! I loved when I taught Primary before the mish and the little kids would fight over who got to pray...so much fun!