Meet The Nat Pack!

My photo
The Nat Pack: The super fashionable, super mod, super hip family consisting of Nat, Pete, Jakob, Brock, Troy, and Ivy. Like The Rat Pack, only younger, cuter, and not as rich or famous.

Friday, April 4, 2008

Pampered

The other night I went to a Pampered Chef party. I've gotta be honest-my idea of "pampered chef" is when a chef comes to my home to cook for me while I'm getting a pedicure or massage. But they have all sorts of cool gadgets, some of which I'd never even think of. The demonstrator, named-not joking here-Mary Kae, made this fabulous salad, and I wanted to share the recipe. I don't know if I'll get in trouble, but it was printed in the catalog of overpriced kitchen tools, so I'm probably safe. It was really light and scrumptious, and believe it or not you can make it without all the special bowls and measuring spoons, although we did use this and it was rather handy. Enjoy!

Chicken, Avocado, and Grapefruit Salad

Chicken:
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 Tbsp. citrus and basil rub (basically just basil and lemon pepper)
1 tsp. olive oil

Dressing and Salad:
1 large ruby red grapefruit
1 Tbsp. orange marmalade
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

Salad:
4-6 radishes
1 ripe avocado
1 (6-oz.) bag spinach leaves
1/2 cup sliced red onion

For chicken, combine basil and olive oil to make a rub; rub it on the chicken. Cook the chicken on both sides over medium heat until done.

For dressing, zest grapefruit (grate the peel) to get 1 tsp. zest. Cut the grapefruit in half and remove the sections. Squeeze the grapefruit for 1/4 cup of its juice. Combine zest, juice, marmalade, oil, salt, and pepper.

For the salad, slice the radishes and dice the avocado. Slice the chicken into thin strips or chunks. Combine spinach, chicken, grapefruit sections, radishes, avocado, and onion. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss until coated; serve immediately. Makes 4 servings.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

ooooo salads. I like them. The hubby won't touch them though :(

Hey I figured out how to do the youtube thingy.... :) check out my blog :)

Nat said...

Yeah, Pete's not really a salad kind of person, either, but this recipe doesn't make a ton, so you wouldn't have to try and eat a bunch of it. Though you might want to eat a bunch of it!

Kristine said...

I'm so glad you posted this recipe! I was going to email you and ask for it after you mentioned how good it was! So did you end up buying anything?? hehehe...

Kar said...

Nat - thanks for the recipe. I'm always looking for a good salad recipe.